Benjamin Day 1

Benjamin Day 1

Tuesday 3 May 2011

Tracheostomy and Purees 3rd may 2011

Well we have had a great few days with Benjamin. Since this tracheotomy went in he has been alert, much more mobile and seems so mu ch happier. I think he is still getting used to it as he does gag sometimes but generally he is doing really well. I still haven't had my Trachea training yet and I'm nervous but keen to do it. I saw the entry site the other day and it did make me feel nauseous. I told the nurse how I felt but she was pleased about it as it meant we would be safer as we wouldn't be so blasay about things.
Anyway he is so gorgeous and so sweet. He has developed the "Forrester stare" when the nurses get to close to him. Its very funny! I'm waffling again.
Benjamin is going to be on the tracheotomy for some time as well as his inatropes. He is on allot of sedation drugs so a plan has to be put in place to try and sort them out and take off 2 or 3 of them. His feeding still isn't at the optimum and his weight gain is stationary at the moment. There is a 3 half month baby next door who weights 11lb and Benjamin only weights 9lb at 6 months. It makes me realise how small he really is.
The SALT  nurse came down, she deals with swallowing and speech etc and she assessed his swallowing. He took water off a sponge happily and then she gave him a bottle and he licked the water from the teat. I was beside my self as I was so happy.She thinks trying the water fora few more days and then on Friday we will try Purees PUREES OH MY GOD AT LAST!!!! I cried , Mom cried and even Dave shed a tear.
The doctors plan to wean his ventilation so they can put him on a "nippy" which means me and Dave will be able to wheel him around the ward so he isn't sat in is cot for so long. I'm sure it will take time but it will be great. I'm hoping we have a  good summer and he can go on the mobile ventilation as there is a little garden by PICU which i could sit in with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment