Benjamin Day 1

Benjamin Day 1

Monday 11 April 2011

New and exciting times with Benjamin 11 April 2011

Benjamin was very awake today and very wiggly when I arrived this morning. His beautiful dark brown eyes were so sparkly and his eyebrows were on overload. Zowie was on today so I was able to get his enoxaparin ready , administer then give him a lovely wash. He still suffers from a temperature so clothes are out of the question still. Its funny how getting your baby washed and dressed is so important and so gratifying so I'm looking forward to dressing him one of the many outfits my mom has bought. After washing him and wrestling with all the wires plugged into his legs to put on his nappy, we weighted him. Benjamin now weights 4.14 kg which is 9.12 lbs. He lost weight last week so I was pleased to see the gain.
After weights i got cuddles... for TWO hours. Benjamin cuddled in, pumped his arms around and kicked his legs like any other baby would. He has lost all his hair now so I stroke his forehead which makes him cross eyed!
Later on in the afternoon Benjamin was wide awake and fidgeting. I  decided to do his mouth care and gave him so water on the pink sponge lollies they supply. He sucked that lolly pop dry and when I took it away seemed to be looking for more. His non nutritive feed was due so we decided to give him it on the sponge. Benjamin loved it and as i dripped each drop on the sponge, he sucked away as if it was a bottle. He even took 3ml of water too. I was beside myself with joy. There is always an issue with babies that have never suckled and had feed in their mouth, to develop an aversion and never take to a bottle or even want anything in their mouth. The fact that Benjamin sucked on the sponge and took the milk, which tastes disgusting, and seemed to enjoy it is a really good step towards normal development.
 Unfortunately he swallowed a lot of air, over 30ml, and his belly got very hard. He also started to work very hard and had to have his oxygen turned up slightly as he went a little dusky.
That took the edge of my happiness a little but I'm sure its just something to deal with over time. Benjamin is such a beautiful boy with such a sweet and funny personality. I'm so excited to share that with all my friends and family.

No comments:

Post a Comment