Benjamin Day 1

Benjamin Day 1

Wednesday 2 March 2011

9th November 2010 Giving Birth

Its 8th November ,02.45 and my waters have just broken!! Five weeks early.
I'm feeling nervous but basically very calm. I call Dave and my mom. As you an imagine Mom is near on hysterical when she arrives and Dave is in the car travelling back from Birmingham telling me to stay calm and he will be there soon.I think he is a little overwhelmed as its 5 weeks early and he only just let for work so was asleep after a full days shift.

My bags are packed, I'm wearing my comfy and I want a cup of tea.
Mom looked amazed that I was wondering around calmly and contemplating making Dad a cup of tea when he arrives. Its quite funny to be honest, especially when Dad arrived.
So off we go to meet our little man!

When I arrive at the hospital we shuffle into a labour ward and chat with 2 lovely midwifes. My labour pains still haven't started so once Dave arrives we are taken to the ward. There is no real chance of going home to wait as my waters have broken and i am at risk of infection.

I am getting excited but really bored by 18.00 that night. There has been talks about starting my labour pains artificially but they are very busy an dim just have to wait. By 20.00 I am getting very upset and demand someone tell me something of use. Guess what I'm not going anywhere!!
So best bed down and hope i start naturally...
and I do 06.00 on 9th November the pain rains down :) and it comes strong. Dave is asleep ( well someone had too) and after I shout at him he shoots out his chair and gets a nurse. Oh yeah! I'm ready to go now whether they are or not!
At the labour suite I'm introduced to a midwife who promptly disappears and leaves us. By the time I arrive to the labour ward the pains are intense and my vision is clouding over. Get myself on the bed, and listen to the midwife come back in and ask me about pain relief, giving me options but then saying " actually you cant really have that". At this point I'm ready to slam her head into the wall and tell her to just give me some gas and air!
That's good stuff and it easies the pain. Upon examination she says with some amazement that i was 8 cm dilated and then disappears again!!!
It was at that point that I apparently declare that I'm going to kill her and that I'm going to push. Dave tells me not to and to lay on my side and frantically calls for a midwife.
When she arrives and looks to see whats going on, she sounds shocked when she says " oooo theres a head" YEAH i bloody know i can feel it. 27 minutes late Benjamin is born.
He is early so is taken to the incubator to be checked over and the special care nurse comes for him. This is the point that things go wrong
The SCUBU nurse is nearly out the door before I had even seen him. I called to him to show me my baby then he disappears. He is beautiful and we know he will be with us shortly as they are just checking him out! We were wrong.

So Benjamin is taken away and we are brought a pot of tea and we are then left abandoned in a room with all the lights off and no idea what is happening. I don't even know where the showers are and if I can get myself dressed. An, hour later after Dave has wondered the corridors I get taken to the shower but then left to find my way back and we sit again for nearly two hours in that room. My midwife wonders by and seems amazed to still see us and to our relief wheels me to special care to see our son.
He is in an incubator and we are told that he has a heart murmur and that they are looking into it but we could hold him once we disinfect our hands and arms. Wow! its the most amazing feeling finally holding Benjamin. His skin is so soft and his fingers so tiny. Hes obviously early and very delicate but looks perfect. We get cuddles and time alone. Everyone is telling us how beautiful he is, but we already know that.
We are in love and were ready to go home. We are very worried about the hear murmer but they assure us that it culd just be that he is early and will have a cardiac consultant look at him.

No comments:

Post a Comment